Sunday, March 9, 2014

Back to the Arcology, part 2. Curiosity killed the cat

We rested enough in the daycare center. Then we found some people. We decided that I would take a person who had lots of information out. Morgan and Rugh came with me. We had to take the person to safety, because of the information. It was something to do with how Renraku people and the military handled people in the Arcology,

Rugh decided to take the person further when me and Morgan said we'd head back. We went back to others, who were looking for the Room. There were lots of doors with numbers. We found all the numbers until 1834, and starting again from 1836. There were also rooms that didn't have numbers, they had names. Like Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

We found a corner. With our logic the Room was supposed to be there. There had been other runners before us, I guess. There was some evidence of them drilling holes to the wall. I asked Shrew to tell her spirit to check the rooms around the supposed Room. The spirit did what it was told, but didn't find anything. Oh, and the supposed Room didn't have any doors anywhere.

The spirit told us that the inside of the supposed Room was protected. It had an Astral wall. He didn't want to go through it. We decided to examine it further.

We found another room, it was a kitchen or something. From there we found a hole on the wall. It was a hatch, and we opened it with caution. It didn't explode. I was ready to explode the shit out of the wall, but others disagreed. The spirit explored the new room we had found, and told us that there was a possibility to enter from a lower floor. Me, Shrew and Bobby decided to go there and try and enter the room from below. Others stayed behind to look for another entrance, or the Room.

We managed to avoid the army and used Nerdys passkey to enter the room. It was some machine-room that kept the air-conditioning and everything else going. I saw that there was an active thing in the Astral space far above us. We decided to explore further. Oh, and before we went downstairs, others made us promise we wouldn't explode the whole Arcology, or even the whole floor, to the sky. We promised. Not that it would happen anyway, I didn't have enough explosives with me...

We climbed, and climbed a bit more. Then we found out that the Astral wall we had seen was a wall of astrally active bugs. Cockroaches or something. I dunno. Shrew climbed on Bobby, and started to take them off. She threw them to me. I examined them, tasted one, and started to pack them in my backpack. Anything is better than the protein bars.

It felt like forever, and finally I decided to help. I climbed on Bobby too, took my sword and started slashing. We managed to get a handle free. It was locked, and the passkey didn't work. So I planted my explosives there. When I was just ready, and put there a few seconds for us to run for cover, the lock opened. We all jumped, a robot came through and then the explosion hopefully harmed it.

Well, I think we had to fight our way up, because there was one Medusa-robot there. We destroyed it and attracted some unwanted attention from the military. They came in, looked up, decided that it was something that just happens and left. Then we kept trying to go up, and managed to get ourselves in trouble again.

We destroyed the second Medusa-robot. We didn't learn from our mistakes, and kept trying to go up. The hatch was open, and we climbed. Then some little shit bugger stinged me. It was one of the bumblebee-robots. I had heard that they were normally full of some nasty substances. Well, how nice it was...

We were trying to escape. Our will to live had finally won our curiosity. Bobby was climbing down like a true troll. Dropped a few meters, grabbed on, shrugged the pain away and continued downwards. I was hurt, and waiting for the nasty things to kick in. I tried to climb fast, and fell. I dropped onto Bobby, who didn't care for my well being (did I care for his? Maybe not...) and dropped again. I felt something snap, and then it was darkness.

When I woke up I was being carried. I fought my way off and swore a lot. I was in terrible pain. The nanites were destroying me from the inside, and my body struggled to destroy the nanites. Shrews spirit was there to try and heal me. The also gave first aid to me. This is where I understood Shrews pain. Well, I had been hurt before, maybe worse. And I think I had broken my neck or spine or something, because I felt the pain in my bones. Good thing I didn't impale myself with my sword...

Long minutes passed, and then the pain faded. The nanites were destroyed, and my body had healed itself. I shrugged, checked that all my limbs were still there, and then we had to run. We had apparently got some attention from the military. They were coming, and we needed to run.

We used Shrews spirit as a scout. He found an ambush. Good for him, we didn't got ambushed. We managed to find ourselves a good hiding place, and then Shrew took her Little Smokes out. She said we should smoke some magical drug to get powers, but there was no guarantee it would work, and if it would work, there was no guarantee how long it would work. Could be minutes, could be hours. But one thing was certain. If it did work, after the effects had worn off, there would be side-effects. It would take us an equal amount of minutes or hours to recover. We would be of no use during the side-effects. I decided to risk it, just like Shrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment