Monday, October 28, 2013

The running, Arcology part 5, the beginning of the end

We got the devise. It was a pain to get it, and it lead us into a trap. Well, let me explain...

We had rested a while in a safe place. I had complained about my broken clothes so long that someone got fed up with me and fixed the armor Opium had given me. He told me about Deus. I wasn't interested. I just wanted to get out. I had very bad feelings about this whole thing. I was so happy to be getting out soon, one way or another. Dead or alive. My revenge had been the only thing that had kept me going. And it still is. Well, nowadays there are other things as well, but I'll get to that.

At one point Shrew got into talking with the otaku. They talked about Deus. I started listening when I heard them talking about Deus being bad to humans, and trolls. And elves too. And also animals, and the whole world. I had been thinking about myself, about what I was. I have come to a conclusion now, but I wanted to know their opinion. I asked what they thought I was. A human or an animal. They didn't know. Everything they knew was that I was a good person. A good guy. Ha, maybe, for now, we'll see.

Finally we went to get the device we needed. It was some trap-thingy. Deus was supposed to get trapped in the thing. They were talking about some system, and Deus was there, and they were going to go there and trap Deus. I didn't understand, so I prepared to fight.

We left for a certain floor. There we could see where the trap was, well, where the person who had the trap was. The plan was to go and find the trap and the person, steal the trap, and the person if he was willing to come with us, and go.

The people we had met went in front. They were really careful. More careful we ever were. They checked every corner, every single corner. Maybe they had seen too much to just wing it. Well, they had told us that they had been in the Arcology for months at a time, and gotten out only once in a while. They apparently knew more about survival in the Arcology.

We climbed up several floors. Ohh, how I hate elevator-shafts. I remembered the previous shaft too vividly. The metallic tentacles... Eww... And of course, I could get along with the tentacles, no problem. The only thing is it was too small place for me to function. I had to force myself in again.

We kept on going carefully. We took a break and then continued. We got to a side of a football-field.  Our destination was on the other side, so we started crossing the field. Opium kept looking up. Finally two strange-looking Medusas attacked us from above. They seemed to melt into the background. Their colors were strange, and if they were perfectly still, they were nearly invisible.

The Medusas sprayed some kind of foam on us. I took my sword and was attacking only to get sprayed with the foam again. Finally the foam covered me from head to toe. I was unable to move. I was trying to break free, but with no luck. The foam had hardened so it was impossible to escape. I just listened to the fight, but was unable to take part in it. I was furious.

Finally the team that wasn't trapped in the foam managed to destroy the Medusas. Rugh helped me out from the foam. To my horror I noticed he was using his big axe to cut me free. I objected, but he didn't care. I think it has something to do with my healing-power. He didn't care if he hit me with his axe, because I didn't need any first aid. I still don't like others thinking like that. It still hurts, dammit!

We kept going, after everyone was ready. We were very alert, ready for another attack. It didn't come. We got to our destination without any problems. Someone figured out where the trap was located. Luckily it was close.

We climbed up on a big set of stairs. On the top there was an otaku. He was one of Deus's otakus. He had white eyes. I have noticed that others talk about different eye-colors when talking about Deus's human-servants. The technicians and other people doing something with electronics had green eyes, security and guards had blue eyes. The people that were good with computers had white eyes. Well, I don't see the colors, but I listen to others. They talk about colors. Apparently the eyes are not real, they are cyber. Also, they are completely white, or blue, or green. Not like normal eyes people have.

One of the group shot the otaku with a silenced gun. Then we kept on going to the door from where the person carrying the trap had walked through last.

We agreed that me, Random, Opium and Rugh should go in, and others should stay and make sure we weren't disturbed.

I had my sword, because my shotgun didn't have a silencer. Not that it would even be possible to silence a shotgun like a pistol... I heard heated argument through the door. Me or Opium went through first.

Inside there was three of those blue-eyed people and then our target. One of them jumped behind a table. Opium shot another, and I attacked the third one with my sword. Random came to help me, but changed quickly to another target. I killed my opponent quickly. I slit his throat. I stopped to assess the situation. There was one opponent still alive. Others were fighting with him. Rugh had his axe, Opium her claws and Random his baton. I decided they didn't need a fourth one there. What a stupid decision. I think Arcology had had its toll on me already. I didn't was to fight!

I checked our target. He seemed to be fine, even though he was a bit startled. He had curled up on the floor, gripping the trap tightly. I also had time to laugh at the others. They seemed to have a bit desperate situation. The last opponent seemed to be very hard to kill.

Finally, when the last one of the blue-eyed guys was dead, others started talking about the leader of the blue-eyed people. Apparently he had been the hardest to kill. Well, it should be like that. The leader should be tougher than his underlings...

Then we left. We circled through a room with a pool, and headed for a lower floor. We knew the reinforcements for our enemies were already on their way. At least the blue-eyed people had made an alarm.

As we were escaping we met another group. They helped us, and when we got to a safe place the two leaders of the two groups got into a heated argument. The people who had helped us wanted to go and rescue some boss-person. Our group wanted to go and trap Deus. They didn't ask me, but I would've voted for trapping Deus. That's what we were here for anyway...

The other group left to rescue the boss-person. Our trap-carrier gave the trap to us and went to the rescue-mission. We headed for the rest of the group. Shrews spirit was called to heal injured. I hadn't even gotten scratches. Well, that's new.

We made a plan, and soon we were ready to execute. Nerdy went with the otaku, Ronin, Dodger and Aneki to fight Deus in the virtual reality. It was a place where you needed cyber to enter. Or something... I didn't have any chance to go there. I can say, it is very, very painful when my body pushes the cyber out. Well, it is also at least as painful when the cyber is inserted.

So, I was with the group which was going to make sure there was air in the place Deus was. I didn't understand. If Deus was in the virtual world, how there could be air? Or what? Hmm, maybe I don't need to know.

We got to our destination without any bigger troubles. There was two of those robots I had seen on the first day in Arcology. The one which exploded in my face. Not nice at all.

Someone suggested shooting them with a gun with silencer. I reminded they would explode in any case. So others shot them to pieces. I wanted to save my precious exploding ammo.

We got to a control room. There was a dead green-eyed person. Next to the dead guy there was white-eyed Sebastien. He was helping us. He had been waiting us.

Rugh gave me a heap of exploding bullets. I took them gratefully and started loading up my shotgun. Others started to look at the controls. They had to make sure the other team had air. Shrew called her spirit to look at the controls. I didn't bother. I couldn't understand them in any case, and I didn't care.

Finally, after lots of mistakes they managed to put air in the right place. Then we started planning the defense. After a while Sebastien told us we should see something. So we went with him. We trusted him. It was a huge mistake!

Sebastien took us to a room nearby. There were a lot of people in pods. The pods were in upright positions. Someone said it was a "zombie"-room.

Sebastien stepped further away from us. He told us he was very sorry. He told us he had tried to resist. He had tried. His nose was bleeding, and he was crying. Pathetic. Either betray us with your head high or then don't do it at all. It was really pathetic. He fell down and stopped moving.

Suddenly I felt tired. It was like a wave or tiredness had washed over me. I staggered, but managed to stand up. Everyone else but Rugh and me fell down. I asked Rugh what the hell was happening, but he didn't reply. He made a fireball a few meters away from us. Then I noticed a small bug. It landed on my neck even though I tried to avoid it. It stung me. Then it was gone. Rugh had apparently experienced the same. Then there was another bug, and I lost my consciousness.

Then I woke up. My body ached. Others were unconscious. Then another bug came and stung me. I lost my consciousness again. I lost my sense of time. I woke up, I lost consciousness. Many times. I had a few seconds to be awake, and all that time I felt the most terrible pain in my body. Maybe Deus had noticed us and started to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment